Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Title No.2 'Another Old Lady' (Angie Butler: Group 9).

I was thrilled to receive this title as some of my previous artists books (Mrs. Derricks Blankets and Behind The Shop Window: My Life With Miss Carol) have involved 'old ladies' and celebrated the (extraordinary, but) every day things that older women do, as individuals and alongside others.

Though for this work, the first thing that struck me about the given title was the word 'another.'It seemed to have a negative connotation when viewed as the beginning word of the title. 'Another' evoked, "oh, not another old lady", or otherwise, "just another old lady" (although when you know that the previous story title, (book made by Angela Callanan) No.1 was, 'An Old Lady', it makes perfect sense!). I wanted to start off my book with that negative viewpoint, but by the end, have the reader/viewer know that my old lady was empowered and admired.

I had to think of something good.

As we have all been working with given titles from Sarah Bodman's artists book, "An Exercise for Kurt Johannessen', I wanted to uphold the admiration for another's work, and I remembered a text from Andrew Wilson's book, Text Messages', a book of 100 text message poems, No.88 Old Lady Eating A Fish.'



A fried fish on a white tray,
no chips
in a doorway out of the rain,
breaking bits off.
Her pink bonnet like a film star's.



Perfect.

I really enjoyed making this work, and hope that all my group nine friends enjoy their copies too.


-->
-->





'Another Old Lady'
Angie Butler, Pet Galerie Press, January 2013, Bristol, UK.
9cms x 9.5cms (incl. chip fork)
No. of pages: 7
Edition size: 20
Production Media: Letterpress printed onto tracing paper, kitchen paper cartridge paper & vellum tracing paper.
 
Exploring the interaction of visual and verbal language in the interpretation of a text poem, using letterpress printed typographic elements. Book slip-case made from a chip cone, the title of the book printed on a chip fork which is adhered to the casing.  There is a ready-made half-moon notch cut into the back of the slip-case to aid the removal of the book. The book contains seven folded, unbound letterpress printed sheets of assorted white, cream, and pink papers. Each one reveals the line and expression of text poem No.88 Old Lady Eating A Fish, taken from Andrew Wilson’s book, Text Messages, 2003. The book can be held in one hand whilst removing each page in sequence to read the text, thus mirroring the motions of the old lady eating her white fish whilst, ‘breaking bits off.’


11 comments:

dinahmow said...

Clever presentation!

Fiona Dempster said...

It's a great little book!

Helen M said...

Great book Angie - I particularly love the format and presentation.

Abigail Thomas said...

wow, this looks so good! I hope next time I see you you have a copy I can look at. In fact, are you at BABE this year?

Angie Butler: Artists Books and Letterpress said...

Thanks all, for posting such positive and kind comments, much appreciated!

I will certainly be at BABE, exhibiting as Pet Galerie Press Abigail - yes, please come and say hi, 'Another Old Lady' will be on my stand for perusal!

I'll also be at IMPACT 8 this year in Dundee, so can feedback on book news as well as Sara (Bowen).

Abigail Thomas said...

Great I'll see you at BABE then! I'm doing an event/performance on the Saturday as part of the programme so I'll come say hi afterwards and take a look at the book.

Angie Butler: Artists Books and Letterpress said...

I think we'll be doing a super-quick changeover, as my workshop finishes just before your event, so will be nice to say proper 'hi's' later on when we feel more relaxed - see you soon, and good luck Abigail!

toko baju muslim murah said...

This is a great posting I have read. I like your article. Thank you

Gardener in the Distance said...

eecenThe poem is beautiful. The whole post is beautiful.

Angela said...

Beautiful book Angie and I've seen it in 'real life' too at BABE! Sorry I missed Abigail but I didn't see this blog post until it was too late and couldn't make it over on the Saturday in any case.

Abigail Thomas said...

Oh Angela, sorry to miss you too! Yeah it had to only be one day for me, I had to work the Sunday back in London and paid work must not be sniffed at right now! Did you both enjoy the Sunday?